[gmx-users] MD in Vacuum

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Mar 14 11:01:23 CET 2013

Hi,

You also need to consider the ensemble you want to investigate. If you
simulate under constant energy you need a shorter timestep than you
would have in solution and probably double precision. In the articles
I list below we used a timestep of 0.5 fs and 1 fs, respectively, and
double precision. Monitor the total energy and you will see it
drifting early on if you e.g. have a timestep that is too long. You
could also try to apply the constraints more accurately than default.

* Patriksson, A., Marklund, E., and Van der Spoel, D. (2007) Protein
Structures under Electrospray Conditions. Biochemistry, 56(4):933pp
* Marklund, E. G., Larsson, S. D., Patriksson, A., Van der Spoel, D.,
and Caleman, C. (2009) Structural stability of electrosprayed
proteins: temperature and hydration effects. Physical Chemistry
Chemical Physics, 11(36):8069pp

Modesto Orozco and coworkers have also simulated biomolecules in the
gas phase. I suggest to also have a look at their work.

Best,