[gmx-users] chiller failure leads to truncated .cpt and _prev.cpt files using gromacs 4.6.1

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 27 04:13:57 CET 2013

Dear Matthew:

Thank you for noticing the file size. This is a very good lead.
I had not noticed that this was special. Indeed, here is the complete listing for truncated/corrupt .cpt files:

-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 1048576 Mar 26 18:53 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 1048576 Mar 26 18:54 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 1048576 Mar 26 18:50 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 1048576 Mar 26 18:51 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 1048576 Mar 26 18:51 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 2097152 Mar 26 18:52 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 2097152 Mar 26 18:52 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 2097152 Mar 26 18:52 md3.cpt
-rw-r----- 1 cneale cneale 2097152 Mar 26 18:52 md3.cpt

I will contact my sysadmins and let them know about your suggestions.

Nevertheless, I respectfully reject the idea that there is really nothing that can be done about this inside
gromacs. About 6 years ago, I worked on a cluster with massive sporadic NSF delays. The only solution to
automate runs on that machine was to, for example, use sed to create a .mdp from a template .mdp file, which had ;;;EOF as the last line and then to poll the created mdp file for ;;;EOF until it existed prior to running
grompp (at the time I was using mdrun -sort and desorting with an in-house script prior to domain
decomposition, so I had to stop/start gromacs every coupld of hours). This is not to say that such things are
ideal, but I think  gromacs would be all the better if it was able to avoid with problems like this regardless of
the cluster setup.

Please note that, over the years, I have seen this on 4 different clusters (albeit with different versions of
gromacs), but that is to say that it's not just one setup that is to blame.

Matthew, please don't take my comments the wrong way. I deeply appreciate your help. I just want to put it
out there that I believe that gromacs would be better if it didn't overwrite good .cpt files with truncated/corrupt
.cpt files ever, even if the cluster catches on fire or the earth's magnetic field reverses, etc.
Also, I suspect that sysadmins don't have a lot of time to test their clusters for graceful exit upon chiller failure
conditions, so a super-careful regime of .cpt update will always be useful.

Thank you again for your help, I'll take it to my sysadmins, who are very good and may be able to remedy
this on their cluster, but who knows what cluster I will be using in 5 years.

Again, thank you for your assistance, it is very useful,
Chris.