[gmx-users] Re: Langevin thermostat implementation in GROMACS vs AMBER

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Wed May 8 19:33:51 CEST 2013

> Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 16:34:46 +0200
> From: Julian Garrec <julian.garrec at epfl.ch>
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Langevin thermostat implementation in GROMACS
>         vs AMBER
> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>
> No suggestion ?? :)
>
> In my post I forgot to say that my system contains explicit water.
>
> I'm still very curious about the difference in implementation in AMBER
> and GROMACS. And I still don't really understand the meanning of tau-t
> in LD and how  it is related to other (well defined) quantities such as
> the friction coeficient in equation 3.114 of the manual (v4.6.1).
I am not really sure what your question is, section 7.3.3 is pretty
clear about that:
"the inverse friction constant for each group is set with tau-t", so
gamma_i=1/tau-t, which also makes sense unit-wise as gamma has units
1/ps and tau-t ps

bd-fric is only used for the Brownian dynamics integrator and if
bd-fric=0, the friction is calculated as mass/tau-t. It might be a bit
misleading that bd-fric is listed under section 7.3.4 (Langevin
dynamics), but that stems from the fact that Brownian dynamics is the
overdamped case of stochastic dynamics and hence it is Langevin
Dynamics, too, just in a different limit.

Christoph

--
Christoph Junghans
Web: http://www.compphys.de