[gmx-users] RE: average pressure of a system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 11 05:10:52 CEST 2013

On 9/10/13 10:56 PM, Dwey Kauffman wrote:
> Hi Dallas and Justin,
>
>    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did plot pressure changes over time by
> g_energy and I have been aware of the note  at
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure
>
> I am concerned about the average pressure is because our experiment shows
> that our target membrane protein is a hexamer and our observation is that
> variation of system pressure seems causing hexamer or dimer dissociation.
> Also, it is quite sensitive to pressure fluctuation. Such a fluctuation of
> pressure certainly brings my attention in this specific case, because life
> does not exist at large variations of system pressure.

True, but thermostats allow temperatures to oscillate on the order of a few K,
and that doesn't happen on the macroscopic level either.  Hence the small
disconnect between a system that has thousands of atoms and one that has
millions or trillions.  Pressure fluctuations decrease on the order of sqrt(N),
so the system size itself is a determining factor for the pressure fluctuations.
  As previous discussions have rightly concluded, pressure is a somewhat
ill-defined quantity in molecular systems like these.

> If not because of multimer dissociation likely caused by pressure
> fluctuation, I agree with both of you.
>
> I also run longer simulations like 20 ns and 30 ns
>
> ### 20 ns
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                   0.886396       0.84    162.655    1.38476  (bar)
>
> ## 30 ns
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                    1.69086       0.58    162.879    3.35668  (bar)
>

> Running longer simulations seems to me that the improvement of system
> pressure is not helpful too much.

And yet neither is statistically indistinguishable from the value of 1, given
that the standard deviations are ~163 bar.

> If I need to modify mdp file, what it would be ?

You could try altering tau_p, but I doubt there is any value in doing so.

-Justin

> Many thanks,
>
> Dwey
>

> My mdp file for NPT  is used in the simulation like
>
> define          = -DPOSRES
>
> integrator      = md
> nsteps          = 500000
> dt                  = 0.002