[gmx-users] multiple peptides in the same box

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 12 03:46:27 CEST 2014

On 4/11/14, 9:29 PM, maggin wrote:
> Hi, Justin
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> If I want 6 peptides in a same box, I revised it as follow:
>
> 1.pdb2gmx -f 1IYT.pdb -o 1IYT.gro -ignh -ter -water  spce  -p 1IYT.top
>
> 2.genconf -f 1IYT.gro -nbox 1 1 1  -o 1IYTlarge_box.gro -renumber -rot
> -maxrot 180 180 180
>
> 3.editconf -f 1IYTlarge_box.gro -o 1IYT_newbox.gro -c -d 1 -bt cubic
>
> 4.genbox -cp 1IYT_newbox.gro -nmol 5  -ci 1IYT.gro -p 1IYT.top  -o
> 1IYT_6.gro -try 500
>
> However, when I use VMD to check the 1IYT_6.gro, and get 12 fragments(12
> proteins), actually I should get 6 fragments.
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5015805/A_4SO89OF207_N%29J7%60P%5DD3J.jpg>
>
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5015805/_AQUOZ%6042UMR8%60%24L9%7BFKDD8.jpg>
>
> How I fix it? Thank you very much!

Either the molecules are split across periodic boundaries (which VMD knows
nothing about, so it thinks the protein segments are separate), or the use of
genbox -ci -nmol has inserted fragments of molecules.  You can easily check by
noting the number of atoms in the coordinate file.  If it is exactly 6 times a
single peptide, then it's just a PBC thing.  It's entirely possible that genbox
fragmented the molecules; the use of -ci -nmol is not designed for multi-residue
molecules.  If it works, great, if not, you'll need to come up with another way
to prepare the system.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601