[gmx-users] QM/MM simulations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:27:19 CEST 2014

On 4/29/14, 4:46 AM, Iamkaant wrote:
> So, I'v made a little test run based on slightly modified  tutorial
> <http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~ggroenh/EMBO2004/html/qmmmvacuum.html#top>  files.
> As far as I can judge, mdrun operates properly, ORCA is called and also
> works OK.
> Here is zipped working directory.  3.ZIP
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5016133/3.ZIP>
> One thing that bothers me is sluggishness of ORCA optimization steps -- they
> took probably 99.9% of wall-time. Earlier I'v made optimizations by this
> instance of ORCA and they went very fast, so the issue may be in the input
> parameters. But since I'm not very familiar with it, I can't say what slows
> down calculation for system of less than 30 atoms at RHF/3-21G level.

IIRC, that is to be expected.  mdrun simply serves as a wrapper to pass
information back and forth with ORCA, and the QM part of the calculation in
Gromacs QM/MM can only be executed in serial, so it will be very slow.

Thanks for reporting back; it's good to know that things are working (even if
performance could stand to be improved).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore