[gmx-users] Umbrella Sampling Tutorial

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 11 22:44:12 CET 2014

On 1/11/14, 11:50 AM, Andres Ortega wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dear Gromacs Users
>
> I was running de Umbrella Sampling Tutorial, and when i get the frames from
> the trajectory, there are some frames like this:
>
> 489	5.3776196
> 490	5.3817739
> 491	5.3752654
> 492	5.3619911
> 493	5.3890083
> 494	5.3918220
> 495	5.4115819
> 496	5.4074620
> 497	5.4386061
> 498	5.4179682
> 499	5.3942749
> 500	5.3905423
>
> is this ok? , they shouldn´t be always move away from the other molecule ?

This is perfectly fine.  At this COM distance, there is no appreciable
interaction between the reference and pulled groups, so the pulled group mostly
just diffuses randomly at this point.  Remember that the spring is pulled with
constant velocity, but the pulled species only responds to both this applied
force and the forces within the system, which at this point are just collisions
with the solvent.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy