[gmx-users] Is version 5.0 generating portable binaries?

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se
Fri Jan 31 08:53:44 CET 2014

Hi Raffaella,

First: You absolutely shouldn’t remove all acceleration in cases like this - that would hit your performance by ~50%. Instead, you can pick the greatest common divisor, which is SSE4.1.

Second, the segfault happens because we use a timing instruction. You can disable this by using the Cmake argument

cmake  -DGMX_DISTRIBUTABLE_BUILD ...

Which creates a binary that will work on most x86 machines.

This will be more automated in 5.0, but by not using AVX_128_FMA on your new AMD nodes you will lose ~30% performance compared to what is possible, so you might want to consider installing at least two mdrun binaries (renamed to, say, mdrun_intel and mdrun_amd).

Cheers,

Erik