[gmx-users] How to calculate protein-surface interaction energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Oct 18 15:34:37 CEST 2014

On 10/18/14 9:30 AM, James Lord wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> 1. Make sure your index groups are correctly constructed.
> Do I need to use make ndx? I thought just adding energygrps=protein surface
> at the end of .mdp is enough?

"Surface" isn't likely a default group (unless that's the name of the
[moleculetype]) and grompp should have raised a fatal error if the group wasn't
defined.

> 2. What does 5 nm correspond to?  A COM distance?  A minimum distance?  If
> the latter, then the LJ-SR energy should likely be zero, but if it's a COM
> distance, that's not necessarily the case.
> 5 nm is minimum distance

OK, in this case, the initial LJ-SR should be zero, provided that rvdw < 5.

> 3. Is your PE model united-atom or all-atom?  If the latter, you still have
> partial charges that will contribute to a negative Coul-SR (of course, this
> is something you can check very simply
> It is all atom

Then you must have partial charges on the individual atoms and therefore Coul-SR
will be non-zero.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629