[gmx-users] Query of RMSD results

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:37:47 CET 2014

On 10/29/14 9:34 AM, Sainitin Donakonda wrote:
> Dear Micholas,
>
> Thanks for reply, I used g_rms routine
>
> As per my knowledge i understand that if protein  ligand complex has high
> RMSD over protein only RMSD then it means that ligand has some influence on
> protein backbone.
>
> But in my case i saw low RMSD value for protein-ligand in comparision to
> protein only . Now i am confused what to interpret for this result. Can you
> please suggest some insights?

The term "some influence" is far too generic.  Either a ligand has a stabilizing
effect (protein RMSD in complex < apo RMSD) or a destabilizing effect (protein
RMSD in complex > apo RMSD).  The small difference you calculated may or may not
be significant, but you will have to do more analysis and/or more simulations to
get a full picture of what's going on.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629