[gmx-users] box size and neighbor list cut-off

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 23:31:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

Under the assumptions underlying the drift tolerance, yes. (It's actually
slightly better than advertised, because of the use of discretized
clusters.) At some point, the numerical perturbation from the constraint
implementation dominates, as you can read about in the PDF reference manual
and the paper cited at the above link. IMO at some previous point the error
inherent in the choice of a statically parameterized model dominates, but
YMMV of course. And any attempt to reduce drift (e.g. use of double
precision and/or large buffers) comes at a computational cost that should
be weighed against the smaller number of samples you obtain from your
finite computing resources.

Mark