[gmx-users] coordinates file format

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 17:56:08 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 5:31 PM, mah maz <mahmaz71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I think it is not! I have 4000 atoms, the first
> number is time, then 4000 x y and z: x1,y1,z1, x2, y2, z2, ....,x4000,
> y4000, z4000. They are following each other not in a special order. Then
> the next time step starts with x1,y1,z1,....,x4000, y4000, z4000. So, they
> are not in a column as they are supposed to be.

What do you mean by "they?" Every atom has three adjacent columns and each
of the dimensions has its own column. Your example of a preferred format
did this also.

> Can I do anything to a
> result file to be in my preferable format?

The only difference in your preference seems to be extra whitespace between
triples of columns corresponding to atoms. This is basically unnecessary
for doing parsing - you already know that the columns are in triples of
xyz. You could insert the extra whitespace yourself with your scripting
language of choice, but the only advantage of that might be if you then
plan to read the format into a Fortran program, in which case you deserve
pain for not using libxdrfile to read the original trajectory ;-)

Cheers,

Mark