[gmx-users] how to turn on constraints in CHARMM-GUI generated Gromacs setup?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 18 00:47:08 CEST 2015

On 6/17/15 6:33 PM, Victor Ma wrote:
> hello Gromacs users:
>
> I am using the CHARMM-GUI to generate a membrane-protein system for me
> which is really convenience. But I am not sure that if the constraints are
> on in my simulation. I am using the default .mdp files generated from
> CHARMM-GUI interface.
> So the .mdp file says,
> define                  = -DREST_ON -DSTEP6_0
>
> And at the bottom of the PROA.itp and POPC.itp, they say,
> #ifdef DREST_ON
> #include "PROA_rest.itp"
> #endif
>
> And both PROA_rest.itp and POPC_rest.itp are present in the work directory.
> It all looks fine. But when I check the output files, such as md.out and
> *.log files, I don't see anything on the constraints. So I suspect that
> it's off. How do I turn it on?

Use the right syntax :)  The -D is a preprocessor prefix.

#ifdef REST_ON
#include "PROA_rest.itp"
#endif

The appropriate #ifdef blocks should already be written to the topology; you
shouldn't have to modify anything.  The CHARMM-GUI output should work exactly
as-is out of the box.

> Another question is that is it ok to just run the system starting from
> 303K, which is the default setup out of ChARMM-GUI? I thought for
> membrane-protein system, we are supposed to first slowly heat up the system
> from 0 K to the target temperature.

That's often unnecessary.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy