[gmx-users] how to turn on constraints in CHARMM-GUI generated Gromacs setup?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 18 01:09:17 CEST 2015

On 6/17/15 7:06 PM, Victor Ma wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 6/17/15 6:33 PM, Victor Ma wrote:
>>
>>> hello Gromacs users:
>>>
>>> I am using the CHARMM-GUI to generate a membrane-protein system for me
>>> which is really convenience. But I am not sure that if the constraints are
>>> on in my simulation. I am using the default .mdp files generated from
>>> CHARMM-GUI interface.
>>> So the .mdp file says,
>>> define                  = -DREST_ON -DSTEP6_0
>>>
>>> And at the bottom of the PROA.itp and POPC.itp, they say,
>>> #ifdef DREST_ON
>>> #include "PROA_rest.itp"
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> And both PROA_rest.itp and POPC_rest.itp are present in the work
>>> directory.
>>> It all looks fine. But when I check the output files, such as md.out and
>>> *.log files, I don't see anything on the constraints. So I suspect that
>>> it's off. How do I turn it on?
>>>

>> Use the right syntax :)  The -D is a preprocessor prefix.
>>

> Thank you for the quick response, Justin. This was my mistake. In PROA.itp,
> I had the right input, which is
> #ifdef REST_ON
> #include "PROA_rest.itp"
> #endif
>
> I am using the exact set up generated from CHARMM-GUI. But I don't think
> that constraints are on. I visualized the simulation. The protein is
> wiggling from the very beginning of the equilibration
> (step6.1_equilibration).
> Anything I can check from the output to make sure that the constraints are
> on? Sorry about the question. I am not that familiar with Gromacs.

"Restraints" and "constraints" are different.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Constraints_and_Restraints

Your protein will wiggle around; the restraints are merely a bias against large
movements.  There will be a position restraint energy term written to the .log
and .edr when restraints are active.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629