[gmx-users] PMF calculation with constraint distance

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 21 23:04:33 CEST 2015

On 5/21/15 5:00 PM, leila salimi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started to calculate PMF between two ions in solution and I
> used constraint for pull option, instead of umbrella as I saw in Umbrella
> sampling Tutorial of Justin.
>
> This is the part of my mdp file!
> ; Pull code
> pull            = constraint    ; Justin's value was "umbrella"
> pull_geometry   = distance      ; simple distance increase
> pull_dim        = Y Y Y
> pull_start      = no            ; Justin's value was "yes"
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0     = CA_surf
> pull_group1     = carboxylate_carbon
> pull_init1      = 0.288         ; initial distance between pulling groups
> pull_rate1      = 0.001 ; 0.001 nm per ps
> pull_k1         = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>
> I got the output  and I tried to pull out with increasing  the distance
> between two atoms and I have pullf.xvg file!
>
> I know that I can have the time evolution of constrained distance with
> g_dist from xtc file! I am wondering how to have the distance with
> corresponding constrained force?
> If I have the file contain forces and distances, I can integrate the force
> then I will have PMF.

This probably won't give you a very reliable PMF.  You're effectively trying to
use the Jarzynski method (albeit with a constraint rather than a harmonic
potential) with one run (normally you have to do this many, many times), which
won't give a correct result.

> Could you help me that how I can manage this?

If you have the constraint force in pullf.xvg and the distance in another .xvg
file, it's just a matter of using grep/awk to combine the two.  Whether or not
this means anything is another matter.  Getting a PMF between ions is trivially
simple with a harmonic potential.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629