[gmx-users] how likely that charmm-in-gromacs LJ-14 interactions are affected by inclusion of cgenff stuff when adding a new molecule with published charmm parameters?

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 8 07:05:30 CEST 2016

Dear Justin:

I have another question, this time about LJ 1-4 interactions.
I notice that charmm36-jun2015.ff/ffbonded.itp has the following in [ pairtypes ]

  NH1     S  1  0.316269044940  1.255200000000

and it has the following in [ atomtypes ]

    S    16    32.060000    0.000  A  0.356359487256  1.88280
  NH1     7    14.007000    0.000  A  0.329632525712  0.83680

charmm in gromacs is comb-rule 2, so sigma = aritmetic and epsilon = geometric

For the S-NH1 LJ1-4 interaction, the epsilon makes sense, but the sigma is off.

Am I to conclude from this that charmm uses a whole bunch of semi-arbitrary LJ-14 terms? I checked in gromacs by simply removing the [ pairtypes ] section and when I did that my energy match from gromacs to charmm executable goes from not bad to really terrible (which aligns with the idea of charmm having a bunch of pre-set 1-4 interactions).