[gmx-users] pressure and potential energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:05:02 CET 2016

On 3/24/16 10:00 AM, abhishek khetan wrote:
> [...]
> Analysing residue names:
> There are:    64      Other residues
> Analysing residues not classified as Protein/DNA/RNA/Water and splitting
> into groups...
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group System is 3069.00
> Determining Verlet buffer for a tolerance of 0.005 kJ/mol/ps at 300 K
> Calculated rlist for 1x1 atom pair-list as 1.100 nm, buffer size 0.000 nm
> Set rlist, assuming 4x4 atom pair-list, to 1.100 nm, buffer size 0.000 nm
> Note that mdrun will redetermine rlist based on the actual pair-list setup
> Reading Coordinates, Velocities and Box size from old trajectory
> Will read whole trajectory
> Last frame         -1 time 1000.000
> Using frame at t = 1000 ps
> Starting time for run is 0 ps
> Calculating fourier grid dimensions for X Y Z
> Using a fourier grid of 20x20x20, spacing 0.111 0.111 0.111
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 0.22
> This run will generate roughly 6 Mb of data
>
> And the output when using the NVT data in the NPT grompp is:

> Command line:
>    gmx_mpi grompp -f npt.mdp -c dme_nvt.gro -t dme_nvt.cpt -o npt.tpr
>
> Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.1#
> Setting the LD random seed to 846700063
> Generated 330891 of the 330891 non-bonded parameter combinations
> Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
> Generated 330891 of the 330891 1-4 parameter combinations
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'DME'
> Removing all charge groups because cutoff-scheme=Verlet
> Analysing residue names:
> There are:    64      Other residues
> Analysing residues not classified as Protein/DNA/RNA/Water and splitting
> into groups...
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group System is 3069.00
> Determining Verlet buffer for a tolerance of 0.005 kJ/mol/ps at 300 K
> Calculated rlist for 1x1 atom pair-list as 1.100 nm, buffer size 0.000 nm
> Set rlist, assuming 4x4 atom pair-list, to 1.100 nm, buffer size 0.000 nm
> Note that mdrun will redetermine rlist based on the actual pair-list setup
> Reading Coordinates, Velocities and Box size from old trajectory
> Will read whole trajectory
> Last frame         -1 time 1000.000
> Using frame at t = 1000 ps
> Starting time for run is 0 ps
> Calculating fourier grid dimensions for X Y Z
> Using a fourier grid of 20x20x20, spacing 0.111 0.111 0.111
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 0.22
> This run will generate roughly 6 Mb of data
>
> Both times when I use mdrun, there are no special lines saying that the
> time step is large or whatever. yeah, you're spot on, I'm not using any
> constraints and/or restraints, nor any refcoord_scaling. Do you think that
> is where the problem originates? I discussed this at length on the forum (
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.gromacs.user/83291) and
> from what i learned, i really had no reason to use constraints/restraints

Let me clarify my remark regarding constraints and restraints.  Your previous
post mentioned a concern that your molecule would "disintegrate" somehow.  I
stated that since you have bonds defined, that can't happen.  You don't need to
use constraints or restraints to prevent "disintegration" of your molecule.
That does *not* mean that constraints aren't appropriate.  For any time step >
0.5 fs or so, you should probably be at least constraining bonds to hydrogens.
Without constraints, you can get instability, which usually manifests itself in
a crash.

> Im trying to increase the fourier grid density and then rerun the
> simulations. It would be very kind if you can educate me a bit here on
> getting to procedure to equilibration and production MD runs. Thanks very
> much in advance.

Your system is extremely small, and you're using coupling algorithms that allow
for very large fluctuations.  I don't think this is a wise combination.  Build a
larger box and you will get more sensible properties, especially those related
to the pressure.  Your simulation cell is simply too tiny to reliably be using
the algorithms you're applying.

-Justin

> Hi,
>>
>> Did grompp warn you that your time step was too large for a system without
>> constraints? What did you do about that?
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 00:28 abhishek khetan <askhetan at gmail.com> wrote:

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy