[gmx-users] Question about decomposition of Lennard-Jones contributions in free energy calculations with Gromacs

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Nov 16 14:00:44 CET 2016

On 11/11/16 01:22, Joel Jose Montalvo Acosta wrote:
> Dear Dr. van der Spoel,
>
> Thank for your fast answer.
>
> I took time to think and to make tests about why is meaningful to have a
> dispersion/repulsion decomposition in an alchemical calculation. In
> general, the solvation free energy (ΔG-solv) can be decomposed in
> electrostatic (ΔG-elec) and van der Waals (ΔG-vdw) contributions, where
> this last term is also possible to decompose in dispersive (ΔG-disp) and
> repulsive (ΔG-rep) contributions, following the Weeks-Chandler-Andersen

Sorry to be harsh, but this kind of decomposition does not mean anything
thermodynamically since the distinction between electrostatic forces and
van der waals forces is arbitrary. It is only relevant algorithmically
for e.g. convergence of free energy calculations. Hence, unless you are
trying to develop smarter or more efficient sampling methods, you are
wasting your time. Any paper that is based on the physical
interpretation of Delta G-elec and/or Delta G-vdw should be rejected.