[gmx-users] Force field for Cobalt topology??

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 6 15:58:20 CET 2017

On 2/6/17 9:08 AM, Amir Zeb wrote:
> Hello gmx users,
>
> I'm wondering which would be the best force field to create topology for
> cobalt. I tried different ff but none of them get the task. I searched the
> mailing archive too but I couldn't get the way to solve the issue.
> Dr. Justin has just mentioned (https://www.mail-archive.com/gmx
> users at gromacs.org/msg46374.html) that there is no such suitable force field
> yet to deal with transition metals correctly due to their lack of fixed
> charge. But this was commented so back.
> Let me know if the recent advances had solved such issue.

The link doesn't point to a valid page, so I don't know the context or content
of that post, but I can probably guess :)  I may be repeating myself, but here goes:

Transition metals are challenging for additive MD force fields.  There are
issues of polarization, charge transfer, and coordination (which can be flexible
and ligand-dependent).  Additive MD force fields are quite crude in this regard
and often can't capture such effects (heck, even "common" ions like Ca2+ and
Mg2+ are often represented very poorly, let alone harder things like transition
elements).  QM/MM may be a solution, in which you treat the cobalt and ligating
residues as a QM region and the rest of the system as MM, but it depends on what
you're doing as to whether or not you want to invest a lot of time in such an
effort.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629