[gmx-users] Updating/upgrading GROMACS

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:23:02 CET 2017

Hi Gregory,

If you have installed in the default system location, you definitely
should clean up before you install a new version (if you did not
change the default path, you can just remove /usr/local/gromacs).

However, you can keep multiple installations and simply use whichever
you need? All you need to do is pass e.g.
-D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/somepath/gromacs-2016.2
to the cmake invocation and before using the new installation do
source /somepath/gromacs-2016.2/bin/GMXRC

This way you can easily switch between versions, compare, or keep
working concurrently on different projects with the same version that
you started out with!

Cheers,
--
Szilárd