[gmx-users] cpu/gpu utilization

Mahmood Naderan nt_mahmood at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 13:57:53 CET 2018

Sorry for the confusion. My fault...
I saw my previous post and found that I missed something. In fact, I couldn't run "-pme gpu".

So, once again, I ran all the commands and uploaded the log files

gmx mdrun -nobackup -nb cpu -pme cpu -deffnm md_0_1
https://pastebin.com/RNT4XJy8

gmx mdrun -nobackup -nb cpu -pme gpu -deffnm md_0_1
https://pastebin.com/7BQn8R7g
This run shows an error on the screen which is not shown in the log file. So please also see https://pastebin.com/KHg6FkBz

gmx mdrun -nobackup -nb gpu -pme cpu -deffnm md_0_1
https://pastebin.com/YXYj23tB

gmx mdrun -nobackup -nb gpu -pme gpu -deffnm md_0_1
https://pastebin.com/P3X4mE5y

>From the results, it seems that running the pme on the cpu is better than gpu. The fastest command here is -nb gpu -pme cpu

Still I have the question that while GPU is utilized, the CPU is also busy. So, I was thinking that the source code uses cudaDeviceSynchronize() where the CPU enters a busy loop.

Regards,
Mahmood