[gmx-users] gmx kill computer?

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:40:05 CET 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:04 PM Wahab Mirco <
Mirco.Wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:

> On 23.10.2018 15:12, Michael Brunsteiner wrote:
> > the computers are NOT overclocked, cooling works, cpu temperatures are
> well below max.
> > as stated above something like this happened three times, each time with
> gmx at full blastand with the same type of nvidia card ... can it be that
> my hardware has some issue that isso well hidden that only gromacs running
> at full blast can trigger it? - has anybody observedsuch behaviour before,
> or suggestions on how to better diagnose the issue ... ??
> >
> > the specs:
> > workstation 1Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz + nvidia geforce
> gtx 1060
> > running debian stretch with nvidia driver version 387.26
> > workstation 2AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor + nvidia geforce gtx
> 1060
> > running debian stretch with  nvidia driver version 390.87
>
> GTX-1060, due to the interval-like offloading of gpu-related work will
> possibly generate some really nasty load-changes the power supply can't
> cope with. It is well known that fast load changes of modern graphics
> cards may overstrain the power supply unit if not "strong" enough.
>
> The symptoms very much suggest a problem with the PSU. Maybe
> Szilard Páll can comment on this.

I've no knowledge of such issues, but I can imagine that the fluctuating
load could cause strain on power supply/delivery circuits. I do think
however that is not outside of the spec of normal GPU operation -- a CPU
bound game should generate quite similar load too (though perhaps not
regular and periodic as mdrun).

I agree that the issue is more likely a PSU (or motherboard power delivery
circuit) issue.

--
Szilard

Regards