[Abe.kth.se_sakraplatseruserlist] FW: Teenage use of public transit

Vania A Ceccato vania.ceccato at abe.kth.se
Ons May 2 08:51:56 CEST 2018

Hi members
See Marcus email below – he points out the need of breaking down transit users by groups. Users may have different ways of accessing the system, different routines and perhaps different needs. In a city well served by public transportation, such as Stockholm, young people go anywhere by combining all sorts of modes, buses, metro, commuting trains, boats… Although I don’t know the percentage of transit riders who are “young people/teens” in Stockholm.
As Marcus says, since a share of them would consider engaging in acts of disorder/vandalism or crime, it is important to look at young people’s movement patterns in transit environments. Even when they do not engage in any crime, breaking down users by type is useful for both research and policy. If you intersect age and gender, for example in Stockholm, I would argue for the need of maximizing public transportation at particular routes, at all times, in certain areas, during the night time.
What is your view about this?
Vania