[Abe.kth.se_sakraplatseruserlist] [TCR-network] TedEx talk women & technology and happy 2019!

MAURICIO JOSE OROZCO FONTALVO mauricio.orozco at unimilitar.edu.co
Fre Dec 28 16:30:38 CET 2018

Excellent presentation professor Vania,

I agree with professor Natarajan about the cultural context, this could
vary from city to city even within the same country, in Colombia the
ideosyncrasy in the northern coast (caribbean) and in the capital Bogotá
are way too different. For example, in the caribbean almost anybody would
help a person in distress, even more if its a woman, making people feel
"safer" if there are others around, but in the capital almost anybody would
help because of the fear of being harm.

Segregated vehicles has not been implemented in Colombia and I hope they
never will.

Happy new year to everyone!

El vie., 28 dic. 2018 a las 10:05, Mangai Natarajan (<
mnatarajan at jjay.cuny.edu>) escribió:

> Dear Vania: Excellent job of communicating the concepts  behind the travel
> safety for women at large. Congratulations!
>
> One thing I would like to mention here is the transformation of safety and
> design will still need to take into account of cultural context. I still
> speak to women ( girls, young  and older women)  in India ( the perception
> may be different from city to city!) who reserve their seats in ladies only
> compartments and travel in ladies only buses. Though they are aware of
> female criminals pick pocketing and gold chain cutting etc, in those buses
> and trains, they still prefer those "segregated setup" to avoid the sexual
> encounters while traveling. it may be a segregation- but the "safety"
> overpowers the security in their minds!. The security (free from harm) vs
> safety (protection from a particularity situation) -here is where the CPTED
> and SCP could surface in dealing with women's safety.
>
> Attached you will find a photo of ladies compartment in a commuter train
> in Chennai, India- I traveled in the same train to observe and sense the
> "safety" vs "security" !
>
> Happy New Year.
> Best
> Mangai
>
> *Mangai Natarajan Ph.D*
> Professor, Department of  Criminal Justice
> Director International Criminal Justice BA Program
> John Jay College of Criminal Justice, The City University of New York
> Haaren Hall, Room # 63205
> 524 West 59th Street
> New York, N.Y.  10019
> Tel-212-237-8673
>
> ------------------------------

*I.C. M.Sc. Mauricio Orozco Fontalvo*
Profesor Asistente

Programa Ingeniería Civil

Universidad Militar Nueva Granada
Carrera 11
No.
 101-80, Bogotá D. C.
PBX: 650 00 00 ext. 1277

www.umng.edu.co

Para ver el aviso de privacidad *clic aquí*
<http://www.umng.edu.co/aviso-de-privacidad> y para el uso de datos
personales *clic aquí*
<http://www.umng.edu.co/autorizacion-y-refrendacion-de-uso-de-datos-personales>
.