[Abe.kth.se_sakraplatseruserlist] TedEx talk women & technology and happy 2019!

Mangai Natarajan mnatarajan at jjay.cuny.edu
Fre Dec 28 16:04:44 CET 2018

Dear Vania: Excellent job of communicating the concepts  behind the travel safety for women at large. Congratulations!

One thing I would like to mention here is the transformation of safety and design will still need to take into account of cultural context. I still speak to women ( girls, young  and older women)  in India ( the perception may be different from city to city!) who reserve their seats in ladies only compartments and travel in ladies only buses. Though they are aware of female criminals pick pocketing and gold chain cutting etc, in those buses and trains, they still prefer those "segregated setup" to avoid the sexual encounters while traveling. it may be a segregation- but the "safety"  overpowers the security in their minds!. The security (free from harm) vs safety (protection from a particularity situation) -here is where the CPTED and SCP could surface in dealing with women's safety.

Attached you will find a photo of ladies compartment in a commuter train in Chennai, India- I traveled in the same train to observe and sense the "safety" vs "security" !

Happy New Year.
Best
Mangai

Mangai Natarajan Ph.D
Professor, Department of  Criminal Justice
Director International Criminal Justice BA Program
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, The City University of New York
Haaren Hall, Room # 63205
524 West 59th Street
New York, N.Y.  10019
Tel-212-237-8673